29/08/2016

Electroplating

A long time electroplating seemed to me a magic. However, when I decided to study this process, it appears that there is nothing magical, but only chemistry and physics. Briefly, this process can be described as follows: Electric current flows through the electrical circuit in the electrolyte, and metal ions which it contains are plated on the cathode. Depending on the composition of the electrolyte, any metal can be deposited on any surface.

For me, the most accessible were the components for copper plating. Copper sulfate I bought at the store for gardeners; sulfuric acid, distilled water and power supply - in the automotive store; copper tubes - in the hardware store.

copper electroformed

I gathered all the necessary and now I have a home installation for electroplating.

I decided to cover the copper the natural materials. And I was very lucky - the beginning of my experiments coincided with the summertime when a lot of flowers, leaves, cones and branches.


Also, I had some the stones and glass, which turned into original jewelry.

necklaces & pendants

I continue my experiments with the coating, patina and color

No comments:

Post a Comment